The 90/10 Principle and Road Safety

You may not be familiar with the 90/10 principle. And you may ask yourselves ‘what has this to do with road safety?’. Here’s how it works (as shared by Stephen Covey), and then I’ll give you the connection to road safety.

“What is this principle? 10% of life is made up of what happens to you, while 90% of your life is decided by how you react. What does this mean? We really have no control over 10% of what happens to us. However, as it is true that we have no control over this 10%, the other 90% is different. You determine the other 90%. How?…By your reaction. You cannot control a red light. However, you can control your reaction. Do not let people fool you. You can control how you react. Let use an example…

You are having breakfast with your family. Your daughter knocks over a cup of coffee onto your business shirt. You have no control over what has just happened. What happens next will be determined by how you react.

You curse. You harshly scold your daughter for knocking the cup over. She breaks down in tears. After scolding her, you turn to your wife and you criticize her for placing the cup too close to the edge of the table. A short verbal battle follows. You storm upstairs and change your shirt. Back downstairs, you find your daughter has been too busy crying to finish her breakfast and get ready to go to school. She misses the bus. Your spouse must leave immediately for work. You rush to the car and drive your daughter to school. because you are late, you drive 40 miles per hour in a 30 mph speed limit zone. After a 15-minute delay and throwing a $60 traffic fine away, you arrive at school. Your daughter runs into the building without saying goodbye. After arriving at the office 20 minutes late, you realize you forgot your briefcase. Your day started terrible. As it continues, it seems to get worse and worse. You look forward to coming home. When you arrive home, you find a small wedge in your relationship with your wife and daughter. Why? Because of the way you reacted in the morning. Why did you have a bad day? because you caused it. You had no control over what happened with the coffee. How you reacted in those 5 seconds is what caused your bad day.

Here’s what could have and should have happened. Coffee splashes over you. Your daughter is about to cry. You gently say: ‘It’s Ok Honey, you just need to be more careful next time.’ Grabbing a towel you go upstairs and change your shirt. You grab your briefcase, and you come back down in time to look through the window and see your child getting on the bus. She turns and wave. You arrive 5 minutes early and cheerfully greet the staff. Notice the difference?

Two different scenarios. Both started the same. Both ended different. Why? Because of how you reacted. You really have no control over 10% of what happens in your life. The other 90% was determined by your reaction. Now you know the 90/10 principle. Apply it and you will be amazed at the results. You will lose nothing if you try it. The 90/10 principle is incredible. Very few know and apply this principle. The result? You will see it by yourself. Millions of people are suffering from undeserved stress, trials, problems and headaches. We all must understand and apply the 90/10 principle. It can change your life.

Absolutely everything we do, give, say, or even think, it’s like a boomerang. It will come back to us. If we want to receive, we need to learn to give first. Maybe we will end with our hands empty, but our heart will be filled with love. And those who love life, have that feelings marked in their hearts.”

Keeping all this in mind, I came across, thanks to my friend John, the following video. Please reflect upon it after you see it. It is powerful and for me is a representation of the 90/10 principle, in a way.The video can be found at http://embracethis.co.uk//

John sent me the following message accompanying the link:“This is the new “wear your seatbelt” ad the UK is doing – started by someone not hired to do it, but because the cause is important to him, he came up with this idea, and now it’s being hailed across the world as a beautiful’ commercial. …And now the video has gone “viral” – [which means, has become so popular with the general public that people are forwarding it to friends/family on their own so quickly that it has spread all over the world in a very short time.]”

adf

Advertisements

About alby59

Alberto has a 25-year plus career in Local Government which began as City Manager in Italy. He currently serves as Chief Administrative Officer for the District of Lake Country in beautiful Central Okanagan BC. In addition, Alberto is Adjunct Professor to the Political Science Department of the University of Northern British Columbia and teaches a variety of local government related courses. He has developed a series of lectures on Leadership and Ethics and is designing a Project Management course aimed at Local Government and public sector practitioners. Very active in both his professional and academic life, Alberto has served as President of the Local Government Management Association of BC and the Association of Records Management Administrators of BC and Yukon. He also served as member of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Tsunami Recovery Committee for the reconstruction of communities and local governments in Sri Lanka and Indonesia hit by the 2004 Tsunami and managed an FCM capacity building program with the City of San Fernando, La Union in the Philippines while with the Township of Langley. Alberto has earned facilitator certifications with Franklin Covey and Cognitive Edge, and continues to foster his interest in personal education and professional development. He is an avid reader, music lover, and science fiction movie aficionado. He plays guitar and piano for fun and sings with his wife and his children. He is also very active in his church and community being a former Rotarian and currently serving as the Second Counselor in the Thompson Okanagan (Vernon Stake) Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. However, his most important interest is his family: his wife Silvana and their two children Victor and Grace.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to The 90/10 Principle and Road Safety

  1. Ray Dykes says:

    Nice blog and moving video. The times I have been able to control my reaction to an unexpected setback or happening always prove to be the best. The snappy answer/ criticism bring contention into your life. Pray for self control and see the difference. So much better to laugh at the broken glass of milk and say oh well, let’s clean it up together!

  2. Cesare Quarinto says:

    Un bel post Alberto, ho messo un riferimento al tuo blog sul mio profilo di Facebook. Un caro abbraccio.
    CQ

  3. alby59 says:

    Grazie Cesare, un caro abbraccio anche a te
    Alberto

  4. alby59 says:

    Thank you Ray. Wise words.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s